3. Kepler Measures an Increasing Frequency of Small Planets
- Title: Planet Occurrence within 0.25 AU of Solar-type Stars from Kepler
- Authors: A. Howard, G. Marcy, S. Bryson, et al.
- First Author’s Institution: Department of Astronomy, University of California, Berkeley
- Full Astrobite: Planet Statistics from the Latest Kepler Data Release
Why it is important:This is the first detailed statistical study of the Kepler sample of exoplanet candidates, a sample which is unique for its sensitivity to both small planets and long periods. If you want to constrain the fraction of stars which host planets (see: Drake equation), this is where you start.